Friday, May 18, 2012
Tom Yum Macaron
Hello, just thought to share this savoury macaron with you guys for the coming summer day gatherings.
Savoury macaron is very particular, for me it's either love it or hate it. If you love sweet and savoury combination you probably will find this interesting.
For this particular post, I am going to share a recipe from one of my book - Macaron Fetish - the Luxury Collection. These are going to be a macaron with some exotic ingredients - Tom Yum macaron.
For the readers who aren't familiar with asian food, Tom Yum is a sour and spicy soup. It is one of the signature dish of Thailand. The key ingredients to make this soup are kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, galangal, roasted chili paste and lime juice. The soup is usually named 'Tom Yum Gong" which basically means Prawn Tom Yum. It also comes in a vegetarian version which I often cook at home with oyster mushrooms, button mushrooms, inoki mushrooms and some veggies.
For this recipe the macarons are going to be filled with tofu. Hope you like it. Enjoy
For the shells (makes about 24 shells of 3 cm)
- 1 egg whites (40g) - Room temperatured
- 30g castor sugar
- 50g icing sugar
- 30g almond meal
- 1/4 teaspoon of powder food colouring
1. Mix almond meal, food colouring and icing sugar together and blend it up in the blender. Sift then set aside.
2. Using electric beater, beat egg white until foamy, then add in half of the castor sugar, continue until the egg white reaches soft peak then add in the rest and beat until stiff peak.
3. Add the dry ingredient to the meringue. Start folding each batter in each bowl until a smooth shiny batter is obtain. The batter should flow down smoothly and formed a ribbon when it's ready.
4. For details and FAQ on folding please refer to this post http://macaron-fetish.blogspot.fr/2010/02/basic-macaron-recipe.html
5. Prepare your piping bag and block the tip. Fill it up. Start piping the batter.
6. Preheat oven to 150 C while the macaron is resting. Bake for 12-14 minutes and let the macaron shells cool down before removing them.
7. Match up the shells by size and get ready to prepare the filling.
Tom Yum Tofu Filling
- 60g extra firm organic tofu
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon of tom yum paste (found in asian grocer)
- few spring of coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- salt to taste
1. Drain tofu and pat dry it with paper towel. Chop and crush it up with a folk against a sieve to squeeze out any excessive water in the tofu.
2. Put tofu in food blender along with other ingredients;
3. Mix it up to obtain a smooth creamy paste;
4. Fill the macaron shells 1-2 hour before serving to prevent the shells from soften up and being humidified from the filling.
Posted by Kim at 1:54 PM